Sunday, January 23, 2011

Roses

Each time I sit down to write about roses, there is some kind of distraction or the other. The empty post with only the title has been sitting in the "edit posts" section for so long. So I thought that at the turn of the year, I can start writing this post.
My wife's favorite flowers are roses. The rose was the first plant that we got in our old house. I had no idea how to maintain it. When we got it from the nursery it had a few buds and some wonderful flowers. Within a week the buds opened and bloomed. And then there were none. Slowly the plant succumbed to pests and died. We got one more (I think it was pink or another shade of red) and it ended up with the same result. Growing roses was going to be harder than I thought. Just watering it was not going to be enough. After talking tp the folks at the nursery I came back home with some urea and chemical pesticides. The chemical pesticides were really strong and I stopped using them. However, the urea turned out to be useful. The next rose plant lasted longer and we saw new buds coming up after a while. After sometime the plant stopped flowering. but there was a lot off foliage. Again slowly it dried out. I then realized that the varieties that have large flowers were not doing well in pots. Similar plants which were grown on the ground did very well and the flowers were blooming profusely. And keeping in my mind that I do not want to waste space with too many large pots I could not grow these very well. So what does a container gardener like me do?

Just as we were giving up on hope of having rose plants in the house, I got some button roses. The yield was good and the plants were blooming once in a while though not as profusely. Once we moved into our new home, I was able to understand the plants better. Roses require sunlight. They were sensitive to water requirements and nutrient requirements. With proper pruning do very well.. The rose is one plant which I am very confident will do well after a good round of pruning. The plants need to be checked for pests regularly. I only use neem oil, soap and a hard spray of water to keep the pests at bay. Refreshing the soil with compost and Rose Mix was required every two weeks(both available at most nurseries). This would keep the plants in good health and slowly lead to growth of "basal canes". Basal canes yield lot of flowers and are very strong. I also noticed that they produce lots of branches and in turn lots of flowers.

I also had to learn the watering pattern for the roses. Sometimes the soil would dry out quickly during summer and the buds would droop down. Immediate watering would help(within a few hours), however if left dry for more than half a day after these flowers droop the plant gets damaged severly and may not recover at all. I will leave you with the pictures of various roses that we have had over time. I have now restricted myself to growing button roses. Have been successful the last 8 months or so. Hope to see this trend continue.

One of the best rose plants we every had. It would have a minimum of 10-15 flowers at any time. We lost the plant to lack of care while moving homes.

The current best performer in my balcony. I had pruned this down to almost a stem last February after a bout of pests. It has been doing very well since then. Second round of pruning due next week.


The "Paneer rose" or the "Scented Rose". Did well initially(nursery syndrome) and then it went down to ants.

Another star performer in the balcony. Multicolor wonder.


Roses are red ofcourse.


This was one big flower which bloomed well. Lost this one during my trip to Singapore.
 The star performer again.

Healthy competition.

 



In summary,

1. Prune the plant once the flowering season is done. They will take a couple of months to produce new flowers.Watch your skin/clothes while pruning. The thorns can get nasty sometimes.
2. Removing the flowers after they dry helps keep the plant clean. Roses especially look very bad if this is not done regularly.
3. Rose Mix(Organic) application is required on a fortnightly basis. Good compost is also required. The response of the rose plants are directly proportional to the nutrition feeding.
4. Bud roses are good plants for the balcony gardener 
5.  Keep checking for pests. Spider mites get to roses and can bring the plant down quickly.Spray the plants with water once a week or more frequently if pests occur often. Neem oil every fortnight or weekly is good.










38 comments:

Vasudha said...

Hi

Thanks for the info. I have bought couple of rose plants last week and you have guided me how to take care of them.

Vasudha

Natti said...

Hi Vasudha,
Glad you found it useful.
Natti

mehar said...

Thanks a lot .Your story is very much similar to mine.Do you keep changing the sand in the pots are only urea is enough

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much

VMS said...

Hi .

I would like to know if an body knows about sprinkler system for plants in the balcony . Typically needed when we travel out of station and no one to water the plants in the balcony .

Thanks
Vidya

G.AruljothiKarikalan said...

Hi very very thanks for these tips.... really it came through your experience.... thanks a lot

Anonymous said...

I think the admin of this web page is truly working hard for his web site, as here
every stuff is quality based information.
My page: asuntoturkista.net

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I
am waiting for your further write ups thanks once again.
Also see my web site - immobilienalanya.net

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I was checking constantly this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely useful info particularly the ultimate section :) I deal with such info a lot. I used to be looking for this certain info for a very long time. Thank you and good luck.
Feel free to visit my website - under the skin

Anonymous said...

If you want to get a good deal from this post then you have to apply these strategies to your won web site.


Here is my page - Cheap christian louboutin

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Colorado! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your website on my iphone during lunch break. I enjoy the information you present here and can't wait to
take a look when I get home. I'm surprised at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G .
. Anyhow, excellent blog!

Look into my website michael kors history

Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you really understand what
you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Please also visit my site =). We may have a link exchange contract among us

Feel free to surf to my homepage; best coffee maker

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's both educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
The issue is something that too few people are speaking intelligently about.

I am very happy that I stumbled across this during my search for something relating to this.


Here is my site - weight loss tips

Anonymous said...

Hi, i believe that i saw you visited my site thus i got
here to return the want?.I am trying to in finding things to improve my site!
I guess its adequate to make use of a few of your concepts!
!

my webpage: toryburchoutletstore2013.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your website in Firefox, it looks fine
but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other
then that, excellent blog!

My page - クロエ

Anonymous said...

What i do not understood is in truth how you're no longer really a lot more smartly-favored than you may be now. You are so intelligent. You know therefore significantly on the subject of this subject, made me in my opinion believe it from numerous various angles. Its like women and men don't seem to be fascinated until it is one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga!
Your individual stuffs nice. All the time take care of it up!



my webpage; クロエ 財布

Anonymous said...

Heya i'm for the primary time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out much. I'm hoping
to give something again and aid others like you helped me.


Also visit my page wiki.les-verts.infini.fr

Anonymous said...

I've been browsing online more than 3 hours lately, yet I by no means found any interesting article like yours. It is lovely value sufficient for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the web will likely be a lot more helpful than ever before.

Review my web-site :: www.dakotaentertainment.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is fantastic, let alone the
content!

my page :: Replica Watches

Anonymous said...

I think that everything said was actually very logical.
However, what about this? what if you wrote a catchier title?
I am not saying your information isn't solid, but what if you added a post title that makes people want more? I mean "Roses" is a little vanilla. You could look at Yahoo's front page and watch
how they create post titles to grab viewers interested.
You might add a video or a picture or two to get people
excited about everything've got to say. Just my opinion, it could bring your blog a little bit more interesting.

My site ... Replica Watches

Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of
the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on a variety of websites for about a year and am concerned about
switching to another platform. I have heard good things about blogengine.
net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my blog post Replica Watches

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Do you offer guest writers to write content for you?

I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on most of the subjects you write regarding here. Again, awesome web site!

Here is my web blog :: chloe バッグ

Anonymous said...

Why people still make use of to read news papers when in this technological globe everything is accessible on
web?

Here is my webpage; coach 財布

Anonymous said...

My partner and I stumbled over here different website
and thought I might check things out. I like what I see so i am
just following you. Look forward to looking over your web page for a second time.


Feel free to visit my blog Visit kayjewelersengagementrings.net

Anonymous said...

Remarkable! Its genuinely awesome paragraph, I
have got much clear idea regarding from this post.

Feel free to surf to my web page ... ミュウミュウ店舗

Anonymous said...

I do not even understand how I finished up here, however I thought this submit used to be
good. I don't understand who you might be but definitely you are going to a well-known blogger when you aren't already.
Cheers!

Feel free to surf to my site; プラダバッグ

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I like to write a little
comment to support you.

Feel free to visit my blog post :: gucci バッグ

Anonymous said...

wonderful issues altogether, you just received a new reader.
What could you suggest in regards to your submit that you simply made a few days in the past?

Any sure?

Feel free to surf to my weblog ... スーパーコピー時計

Anonymous said...

you are actually a just right webmaster. The website loading pace is
incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any distinctive trick.
Moreover, The contents are masterpiece. you have performed a magnificent task
in this matter!

Here is my web-site - ittz.blogspot.fr

Anonymous said...

Thanks for every other fantastic article. Where else may
anybody get that kind of info in such an ideal means
of writing? I've a presentation next week, and I am at the search for such information.

Here is my homepage :: オークリーメガネ

Anonymous said...

Pretty element of content. I simply stumbled upon your site and in accession capital to say that I get actually enjoyed account your blog posts.

Any way I'll be subscribing on your feeds and even I fulfillment you access persistently rapidly.

my web site ... ロレックス時計

Anonymous said...

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for エアジョーダンスニーカー

Anonymous said...

It's not my first time to pay a quick visit this web page, i am browsing this website dailly and obtain pleasant facts from here daily.

Take a look at my web blog: monster beats

Anonymous said...

Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness for your publish
is simply great and that i can assume you are knowledgeable
on this subject. Fine along with your permission let me to seize your feed to
keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thank you 1,000,000 and please continue
the rewarding work.

Here is my web blog :: ジョーダンスニーカー

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
I am hoping to check out the same high-grade blog posts from you later
on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own, personal website now ;)

Review my website: integrityrolex.yolasite.com

Anonymous said...

My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .
net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea
because of the expenses. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using Movable-type on various websites
for about a year and am nervous about switching to another platform.

I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import
all my wordpress posts into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!


Here is my weblog; Cheap Nike Air Max - http://212.78.2.149/groups/webtip/wiki/f6034/Benefits_And_Cons_Nike_Air_Max_Of_All_Fad_Dieting.html -

Anonymous said...

If you desire to grow your knowledge only keep visiting this site and be updated with the most up-to-date news update posted
here.

Feel free to surf to my blog :: cheap nike air max lunar

Anonymous said...

Plant spa always includes the ferns and usually the Norfolk Pine because of all my plants they need humidity most. They join me several times a week for regular showers. native wetland plants