This post is two weeks old. Work & plants have been keeping me busy and havent been able to update much. Been noticing a lot of mealy bugs and white files around my plants. Mostly focused around the hibiscus, but spreading around to roses too. This has affected the flowering in all my hibiscus plants sparing one. How am I handling these bugs.
1. High pressure spraying of water almost every morning to help stop the mealy bugs and whiteflies from relaxing in the sun throughout the day.
2. Neem oil mixed with a few drops of liquid soap in 1 litre of water and spray atleast once a week.
3. Some panchagavya twice a week to help the plants fight these bugs on their own and constant observation.
4. 2 pieces of garlic and few green chillies ground and diluted in a litre of water.
Frustration point: One day there was so much infestation that I mixed all these solutions together and sprayed together.
5. Bought a few marigold plants as companion planters. Wanted to grow these from seed but needed plants to get the bugs out of the way. Read somewhere that Nasturtiums also help in keeping whiteflies away. Looking for these plants/seeds. If anyone knows where I can get these in Bangalore please let me know.
Here is a picture of one of my hibiscus with the bugs living happily every after.
To finish the blog post on a positive note, I had one hibiscus plant that escaped the bugs and one which I had pruned recently. Learnt that pruning helps the hibiscus flowering. Am getting one flower a day from this plant, and waiting for many more to come.